Right of Public Access
The Right of Public Access
The Right of Public Access to move freely in the countryside of Sweden gives you extensive rights, but also many obligations that you have to respect.
You must observe the following prohibitions:
- You may not trespass on someone else's land! 'Land' is considered the area around a dwelling house or similar, that the owner considers he needs to enjoy his own privacy.
- You are not allowed to light a fire if there is a risk of it spreading! It is also forbidden to light a fire on flat rocks and other places that can suffer permanent damage!
- You may not pick any flowers, berries or mushrooms on someone's private land.
- You may not pick any protected flowers.
- Do not damage or cut down living trees or bushes! You are not allowed to remove twigs, branches, bark, resin, leaves, acorns or nuts from living trees and bushes.
- Do not walk over fields that are newly sown or have crops growing on them!
- Make sure that you close all gates and climb over fences in such a way that no damage is done or cattle let loose!
- Normally you cannot camp for more than one night at the same site without permission from the land-owner. Groups of people always need permission from the land-owner, except at designated camp-sites.
- You are not allowed to park or drive a motor vehicle on the side of the road if there is a risk of damaging the roadside! You may not dirve a motorvehicle on a private road that is closed to the public!
- You may not bathe, land or tie up your boat or canoe on someone else's land or pier if by doing so you interfere with the owner's use of them!
- You must particularly respect areas of special access prohibitions, such as bird sanctuaries and places where it is for- bidden to go ashore.
- Do not litter the countryside with waste! You may not in any way pollute the countryside!
- Fishing in someone else's water without his permission is not allowed. It is your responsibility to know the local fishing regulations.
- Taking bird's eggs, bird's nests or young birds is not allowed.
- You are not allowed to hunt without the permission of the landowner or the owner of the shooting rights.