Be careful with our water
Groundwater levels in parts of Älmhult Municipality are very low after several years with very little rain. The municipality therefore asks everyone to avoid using municipal water for things that are not necessary for health and hygiene. Every litre you can save is crucial! Drinking water is one of the most vital resources of a community, the situation with water shortage can only be solved if everyone helps!
In Fanaholm, watering prohibition have been applied for buildings connected to municipal water. By saving water in other parts of Älmhult we can avoid prohibition in other areas.
Tips for saving water:
- Always report to the municipality when filling your pool. You will then receive the necessary advice and instructions to ensure that this does not jeopardise the drinking water supply for other households.
- Don’t start dishwashers or washing machines until they are completely full.
- Don’t wash up under running water. Use the sink or a bowl.
- Don’t fill up the bath tub. Shower quickly and turn the water off while you apply soap or shampoo.
- Change to water saving showers and taps.
- Fix dripping taps and running toilets.
- Collect rainwater and use it to water your garden (a sprinkler can use 150 litres in 20 minutes)
- Turn the water off while brushing your teeth.
- Keep water in the fridge if you like it cold to avoid needing to run the tap for a long time.
- Wash the car in a car wash where dirty water is collected, cleaned and reused.
- Don’t water plants in sunlight during the day because most of the water will evaporate before it reaches the plants’ roots.
There is a water kiosk on Drivågatan in Älmhult (south of Blåljushuset, where the emergency services are based) where you can fetch water if your well dries up.